Thursday, December 8, 2011

Is it possible to press charges on the primary holder of my bank account?

when i got my 1st job at 16, i didn't have a bank account. most banks in my area wouldn't let me open an account unless i was 18 or had parent consent. my sister (who is 3 year older) was planning on closing her student checking/savings account at BofA. since i didn't want my parents watching over me like a hawk with my bank account, my sister put me on her account as the secondary holder of her BofA checking account and swore not to touch the account.





until fairly recently, she never touched the account. since she only put my name on the checking acc., she transfers my own money into the savings account and spends it as if it were her own money. i've confronted her about it several times, and paid me back 2/3 of what she stole. she promised it wouldn't happen again, but she still kept stealing.





our parents have talked to her about it, but now she says that she can't pay me back because she's trying to pay off her credit cards. total, she has stolen about $300. she currently owes me $120. %26amp; lately, she's been threatening me with pressing auto-theft charges on me (bc i don't have my own car).





**other info: i live in CA. i'm 17 (turning 18yrs old in a few days). every penny deposited into the account has been under my paycheck with my name|||Yes it is possible to do it. Why, though? You want to drag your sister in court and testify against her, and drag your mom and dad and make them testify against her? For $120? You will end up the villain of this saga. Your extended family will blame you as a petty person.





Lastly, as a former prosecutor, who filed over 10,000 cases, I would not have filed this one. I would say that it is a civil matter, and kick it out of the system. Talk to your folks about her paying you back monthly. She is your sister.|||Jess, your sister is being a pest with sort of goes with emancipation. Believe it or not, a lot of people do stupid things that they regret when they are that age. Yes she is not responsible and she is causing you a lot of heartache. Ask your parents to take responsibility for her and give you the $300. In the long run, that is better for everyone. You may end up being friends with your sis in 10 or so years even if you now believe it to be completely unlikely.|||you have no case





the account is in her name legally which means in the eyes of the courts the funds in it are hers as well as yours








you have no signed agreement either|||If i were you i would go to the bank and get my name taken off of the account..secondly, i would press charges because she stole money from you! If she had of asked %26amp; you said yes then that would have been one thing but if she did not ask you then that is stealing %26amp; you can sue to make her pay every cent back. That is soo not right. I think it is funny that she does not have the money to pay you back, but she has the money to press charges? that is a new one. So if she is allowing you to use her car then it is not Auto-theft. Auto Theft is if you stole it and used it with out her permission, but i am assuming you asked?...anyways i guess most families have the trouble maker of their family so to speak. I wish you luck with this difficult situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment