Thursday, December 15, 2011

National Accreditation vs Regional Acc. ONLINE schools?

Okay, quick question. I have about 20 credits at a local community college around here. Recently I got in a car crash and my doctor said I'll be able to learn how to walk again in a couple years. So i might as well continue my education and not wait those years to go back to school. I was looking at online programs and came to conclude a Online program called Penn Foster College which is nationally accredited by DETC and is ACE reviewed as well. They have a bachelors program in criminal justice which I'm interested. I did research and people said regionally accreditation is what you should look at..and it's transferable to other regional accredited schools. Though, if I go with Penn Foster, I just want to complete the bachelors degree so I don't have to worry about transferring anywhere.





My point is.. education is better than no education right? Penn Foster is at least accredited by DETC and ace reviewed on their credits, it's not like im going to a diploma mill college that is not accredited.





What do you guys think? Regionally accredited schools cost about $500 per credit hour where as Penn Foster is about $80 a credit hour.





A bachelor's degree is a bachelor's degree right?





Would this look bad on my resume that it's from a Nationally Accredited School?





I don't want to wait two years to go back to school and my community college does not offer online classes. What is your opinion thanks?|||I definitely recommend a regionally accredited school over a nationally accredited school. Penn Foster might be cheap but you get what you pay for. You can find online classes at a community college for a lot less that 500 per credit hour. There's also the option of testing out of classes with CLEP and DSST. There are independent study classes offered through several RA schools. BYU offers is highly respected, inexpensive and well known for their independent study program.





ACE is not an accrediting agency. But, some colleges with take ACE recommended classes. Have you considered a program called ALEKS for your math requirements? 20.00 per month to complete college level math.


Have you considered using FEMA courses to meet part of your elective hours? FEMA courses are free will need to be transcripted though a college. The price is reasonable. Once on a transcript, you can transfer them to another school.





Have you looked int straighterline courses? They are all ace recommended courses.





There are so many ways finish college on a budget. Many people don't realize that you can earn college credit though non- traditonal ways but it can be done.|||Funny, Tawny degrades Penn Foster then offers alternatives that are equivalent to Penn Foster. Do your own research, use different sources then... research more!

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment